Perfectly healthy dog ​​suffers fatal brain damage after routine vet visit

Perfectly healthy dog ​​suffers fatal brain damage after routine vet visit

On July 2, Chelsea brought Graham her three-year-old Italian Mastiff, Draco, to Laurel Oaks Animal Hospital in Georgia for a heartworm test and injections. That day, Draco arrived at the clinic “a perfectly healthy” dog.

Graham knew her dog’s anxiety was making him a little difficult at the vet. His size would also be a challenge for vets trying to restrain him. She says she told vets that Draco was a bit of a tough dog, and he showed them too.

During the visit, vet records indicate that Draco “lunged” at technicians. The vet prescribed him anti-anxiety medication and had him come back a few days later. Apparently the drug didn’t work. Draco clawed off a muzzle.

Though they discussed sedation, the vets noted that they decided to try and restrain Draco instead. Graham explained:

“These are medical professionals and I trusted them and I trust their opinion. So I said, ‘Okay, go ahead and do it.’”

Something goes wrong

Graham says she then watched what happened next. This is her account of those events:

He was pushed into a corner where he was held and a slip line from the belt was passed through the crack of the door… [A vet tech] held him on the other side of the door with a belt, eventually causing him to lose consciousness.”

Screenshot, First Coast News

The vet records indicate that the doctor took the blood sample and gave Draco his injections. Then:

†[Draco] didn’t move. The entanglement of things over his face kept him from breathing. He was immediately carried to the operating room where we began CPR.”

As the situation got serious, Graham asked the doctor if Draco was okay. When it became clear that he really wasn’t, Graham panicked.

The attacks wouldn’t stop

Obviously, while being held, Draco suffered some brain damage and had seizures. Doctors monitored Draco for the next three days. After that, Graham took Draco to a vet for intensive care.

Screenshot, First Coast News

The intensive care vet is said to have told Graham that she may have to make a difficult decision.

“They said that if the attacks don’t stop within four hours the next night, they recommend that he put him to sleep. The attacks did not stop. So in the end I had to make the difficult decision to put him to sleep.”

Laurel Oaks waive the first vet bill and also paid more than $3,000 from the vet’s critical care bill. Still, no amount of money will bring Draco back.

Can and should the Animal Hospital be held responsible?

It’s hard to imagine taking your dog to the vet for a routine visit and then saying goodbye to him forever a few days later. Hoping to keep this from happening to anyone else, Graham reported the incident to the Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine and to Georgia’s Consumer Protection Division.

“I really want Draco’s story to be heard, and I don’t want anything like this to ever happen to anyone again.”

The Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine is currently reviewing Graham’s complaint. The Georgia Department of Law’s Consumer Protection Division also forwarded the complaint to the Professional Licensing Boards Division within the Secretary of State’s office.

Screenshot, First Coast News

The vet’s lawyer advised them not to comment. However, when First Coast News approached them, the manager indicated that every story has two sides. It’s fair to note that most of the information in this story comes from official vet records or Graham’s own account.

Regardless of who or what is responsible for Draco’s death, his loss is tragic.

“My world revolved around him. I live on my own and when I had nothing to do I was with Draco taking him places and now I feel a bit lost.”

Rest in peace Draco.

H/T: First Coast News
Featured Image: Screenshot, First Coast News

Leave a Comment

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني.